Youth Volunteer Program
Youth Volunteer Program
The youth volunteer program is designed to provide a meaningful hands-on opportunity at the OHS for youth ages 14-18, with an interest in animal welfare. The program allows qualified successful candidates the opportunity to work with our camp staff, in facilitating camp programming for children ages 6-12. For the youth involved, participation in this program provides them with mentorship from OHS staff, experience working with children, an opportunity to volunteer in an animal-related field, and the ability to complete their 40 hours community service. During the placement, responsibilities include:
- Assisting camp staff in leading children aged 6-12 in activities, crafts, games and presentations;
- Assisting camp staff in the set-up and tear-down of camps;
- Supervising animal interaction with campers;
- Handling visiting volunteer animals (i.e. cats, dogs and small animals);
- Ensuring the safety and well-being of children at all times through adhering to standard operating procedures.
The OHS offers camp programming throughout the summer, on PD/PA days and during March Break. For summer/March Break programs, youth volunteer placements will be one-week in length. For PD/PA days, youth may be scheduled for multiple days throughout the year. Hours volunteered can contribute to the 40 required hours of community service for high school students. Proper documentation must be provided during on-boarding to ensure proper tracking of hours.
Youth Volunteer Requirements:
- Youth volunteers must be between the ages of 14-18 years old;
- Youth volunteers must have some experience leading group of children, preferably in a camp setting;
- Youth volunteers must be comfortable handling companion animals (i.e. dogs, cats and small animals).
We thank all applicants for their interest in this program. All applications are screened to ensure they meet the minimum requirements for the position. Those applicants that meet the minimum criteria will be phone screened and may be asked to attend an in-person interview at the OHS with our outreach staff. Successful candidates will be required to attend a mandatory orientation/training session prior to volunteering at camp. This is a highly sought after opportunity for youth, and we typically have a high volume of applicants. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only candidates selected for phone interviews will be contacted.
***Please note: At this time, recruitment for the summer 2017 season is now closed. We will begin recruitment for fall/winter opportunities in August/September 2017.***
Thank you for your interest in our Youth Volunteer Program!