How to Report Animal Cruelty or Neglect

To report a suspected situation involving an animal that may be abused or neglected, and in distress, please contact us at 613-725-3166 ext. 224 or email us and provide the following information:

  • Your name, address and telephone number for our records.
  • The date, time and place (address) of the offence.
  • The registration number and description of any vehicle involved.
  • The investigator will need to ask you questions about the animal(s) involved to establish the full situation (i.e. the basic who, what, where, when, and why if possible). These will relate to what you have seen in relation to the animal's environment and its body condition.

It is OHS policy to treat all complaints in the strictest confidence. Your name will not be disclosed without your permission, but the OSPCA investigator will need to contact you if they need additional information. All information is kept confidential but may be used in the event that a search warrant is required or if an offence has been committed and a charge recommended to Crown Counsel, in which case you may be called to give evidence.

The Ottawa Humane Society always aims to prevent cruelty through education and opts for court proceedings only as a last resort.


Animal Abuse and Interpersonal Violence

Animal AbuseThe link between animal abuse and interpersonal violence has long been proven, and increasingly, the Ottawa Humane Society is working with other social agencies in Ottawa to make sure that efforts are coordinated in situations where violence exists in a household that may have children and animals.

If a child appears to be suffering from abuse and/or neglect.

If a child appears to be suffering from abuse and/or neglect, please contact the Children's Aid Society in Ottawa at 613-747-7800.

Report on link between human and animal violence

For more information on the link between human and animal violence, please check out the information at the Humane Society of the United States' website.