Emergencies and Wildlife

Get Help for Sick or Injured Wildlife

If an animal’s life is in immediate distress as a result of cruelty or neglect, please contact the police at 911. For non-urgent calls about animal neglect or cruelty, please call the OSPCA at 310-SPCA.

In an emergency, to speak with someone immediately between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., please call 613-725-3166 and press 7.

Please note: The Ottawa Humane Society is currently experiencing an interruption in its services. If an agent is not available to respond to your call, you will be directed to the most appropriate service available to help you. We apologize sincerely and are working rapidly to restore full service to our community.

For large wildlife, such as deer, moose and bear, please call Ottawa Police Services at 613-236-1222.

How can you tell if an animal needs your help or should be left alone? If an animal presents with any of the symptoms below, then it needs help:

  • A wild animal presented to you by a cat or dog
  • Bleeding
  • An apparent or obvious broken limb
  • Shivering
  • Walking in circles or falling over when walking
  • Signs of sneezing
  • Vomiting
  • Discharge from eyes or nose

If a wild animal does not show any of these signs, then it is best to leave it alone.

See Wildlife Problems for more information.

If you have further questions about wild animals, you may contact the OHS at 613-725-3166 ext. 262, or send us an email.