Off-Leash Camp FAQs
- How much does camp cost?
- What does my child need to bring to camp?
- When should I drop off/pick-up my child?
- Will my child spend the majority of the day interacting with animals?
- How do you choose which animals the campers will interact with?
- Can my child attend more than one camp?
- What about my child’s medical or dietary needs?
- What are the camp rules?
- Where do the proceeds of the camp go?
- How do I sign up for camp?
How much does camp cost?
The Off-Leash experience costs $60.00 per PD Day or $285.00 a week. All proceeds go to Ottawa’s animals!
What does my child need to bring to camp?
Your child should bring lunch, at least two snacks, and a bottle of water. Please refrain from bringing peanuts or products containing nuts to the OHS. It’s important to wear clothing that can come into contact with animals and is comfortable participating in a variety of activities. Closed-toed shoes are also required.
When should I drop off/pick-up my child?
Camp sign-in is available for participants who have not opted in for extended care at 8:45am, with activities starting promptly at 9am. Camp programming will finish at 3:45pm, and extended care begins at 4pm. Extended care is available for $40/week, from 8 a.m. to 8:45 a.m., and from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Will my child spend the majority of the day interacting with animals?
All of our activities are geared towards teaching animal care, handling, and welfare. We try to have at least two different animal interactions every day, but that can sometimes vary depending on animal availability and temperament. Our top priorities are the well-being and safety of both the campers and our animals. We provide a fun and safe learning environment for our campers, and one that is free of undue stress on the animals.
How do you choose which animals the campers will interact with?
Our animals are carefully screened before they take part in the camp program. All animals that participate in the “Off-Leash” day camps are temperament tested for suitability in being with children, as well as health checked by our animal care team. Additional animals may be brought in through the Humane Education program, or accompanying our guest speakers.
Can my child attend more than one camp?
Of course! We strive to have different activities and animals for each camp. While some of the favourites may be repeated, there will also be enough new material to keep a repeat camper occupied.
What about my child’s medical or dietary needs?
Since campers bring their own lunch and snacks, dietary needs are generally easy to accommodate. Please indicate all medical issues on the registration form. We are unable to accommodate campers with severe allergies to cats and dogs, as integration with animals is an integral part of our program. While we request that campers not bring products containing nuts to camp, we are not a nut-free facility.
What are the camp rules?
To ensure a positive and safe camp environment for all persons and animals involved, all participants will be required to abide by the following rules:
All campers must:
- Respect one-another, the facilitators, and the animals involved in the camp. Engaging in conduct that disrupts the camp program or undermines the safety and security of any of the camp participants will not be tolerated, including the use of profanity or engaging in any physical misconduct.
- Stay on the OHS property and remain with their group at all times. Any camper wishing to leave for any purpose must consult a group facilitator and have an escort.
- Follow directions provided by the camp facilitators.
- Wear close-toed shoes.
- Leave electronic devices, such as MP3 players and cell phones at home.
Participants failing to abide by camp rules and policies may be removed from the camp at the sole discretion of the OHS. Refunds will not be provided for children dismissed from camp. Children acting out violently or engaging in behaviour that threatens the safety and security of any person or animal will result in immediate expulsion. If necessary, inappropriate electronic devices will be confiscated and remain in the possession of the Supervisor: Programs until the end of the camp day.
Please discuss the camp rules with your child prior to camp!
Where do the proceeds of the camp go?
All of the proceeds from the camp are directed to helping Ottawa’s animals.
How do I sign up for camp?
OHS summer camps only have 40 spots available each week – so don’t miss out! Register online today!
For more information, please contact our Supervisor: Programs by phone at (613)725-3166 ext. 298 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.